- I don't own a motor vehicle. I walk most everywhere. I take a train when I go t' Trawna.
- I wear long underwear an' sweaters in the winter so's I can keep the thermostat turned down low.
- I spent a coupla thousand t' replace a perfectly good low efficiency gas furnace with a high efficiency model.
- I don't own any gas-powered toys like snowmobiles or motor bikes or ATV's an' I won't ride on anybuddy else's pollutin' toys.
- I don't own a snowblower an' I spend plenty o' back-breakin' hours shovellin'.
- I push a non-motorized lawn mower in the summertime.
- I put out lots more in my blue box than in my trash an' spend time sortin' the recyclable stuff.
- I use rechargeable batteries in most everything that takes batteries.
- I try t' do my shoppin' close by so's I can walk. If I hafta go somewhere too far fer walkin', I tag along with somebuddy who's already goin' t' where I need t' go.
- I replaced my perfectly good 40 year-old toilet with one that uses a lot less water an' I don't flush every time I take a leak.
Nobuddy paid me t' do those things. Sum of 'em save me money, sum don't. Up until recently, water was not metered in my town so changin' toilets didn't save anything fer the first 5 years, or so.
- I don't own a dishwasher an' when Ma's big family comes 'round fer Christmas, we use china plates an' glass drinkware an' we wash the dishes in the sink. I wrap Christmas presents in wrappin' paper I save from when sumbuddy gives me sumpin'.
- I carry 'round a white handkerchief in my pocket so's I don't buy Kleenex. I wipe up spills with a tea towel so's I don't buy paper towels.
- I wash my clothes usin' soap that works good in cold water.
- I ain't sprayed on deodorant in over 35 years. I ain't never sprayed on hairspray. I don't buy spray cans o' paint or WD40.
- I buy used clothes from Valu Village. I give used clothes t' Valu Village an' t' the Sally Ann.
- I dig the dandelions outta my grass an' don't use any poisons on the lawn or garden.
If yer greener than me, tell me 'bout it. I'm always ready t' do more t' save ol' Mother Earth.